Friday, February 1, 2013


HERE WE GO AGAIN...
My wife, Vicki, and I touched down at Amsterdam Airport (midst the snow) on January 15th, 2013; ready to begin Chapter 2 of Temporary Expatdom.  
For those just joining in the fun, my wife and I spent last summer living in Ireland   She took a temporary assignment with her company’s site in Swords (just north of Dublin.)  Given the fact that I was in between jobs her assignment came at a perfect time; in addition, we looked at this temporary move as an opportunity to experience life in Europe, something we both regretted not taking advantage of while in college.  We spend a fabulous summer living in a beautiful seaside village (Malahide, County Dublin), traveling to 9 other countries, hosting family & friends and experiencing life outside our comfort zone of Norristown, PA.
At the tail end of our time in Ireland my wife was recruited again to assist with another of her company’s sites in the Netherlands.  So, here we were faced with the decision to uproot (once again) and spend a few months living in the Netherlands. Something, even as I type, I still can’t believe.  It was all thrilling and scary at the same time.  To be honest prior to our European excursions this past summer, I knew very little of the Netherlands; I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I might have even had trouble identifying it on a map.
Here we are; one week later, settled into our apartment in Oss (about an 1:30 southeast of Amsterdam) and adjusting to a new language and another new culture.  GULP!

No comments:

Post a Comment