Thursday, February 28, 2013

"I CAN'T GET LEFT!"

Bike with two rolls of toilet paper strapped safely aboard.
Today, I got to experience life as a member of the upper echelon of the Dutch transportation hierarchy.   That's right folks, I took my first bike ride. There she is to the left, kick stand and all.  Alright yes, I know it's a ladies bike, don't judge me.  It came with the apartment.

"But Dan, why have you waited so long to ride a bike?"  Well Internet, let me tell you....I was waiting for the snow to melt before I embarked on a cycling adventure.  Today was a gorgeous day, in Oss.  The sun was shining and I think temps got into the 5s (°C), a virtual heat wave!  Oh, and we also needed toliet paper. So, I thought the quickest way to the City Hotel, our toliet paper supplier/owner operator of our apartment was by bike.

I think it was a good first attempt.  However, I still have NO IDEA how to make left turns.  As a result, I took a reaaaaalllly long way home to the apartment since it was composed of all right hand turns.

I may have disobeyed some ordinances on my joyride around town. A minute into my ride, I blew a  red bicycle traffic light (they have them here).  However, the bus that was about to turn right as I was proceeding just stayed put and yielded to me.  That's power, my friends.  Apparently the cyclist always has the right of way.  My next challenge can be seen here:




Here's more from my journey around Oss.


SORRY FOR THE VERTICAL VIDEOS.  I'LL DO BETTER NEXT TIME.

6 comments:

  1. Just saw your blog from the blog hop...I so wanna come hang with you guys! You look like you have a blast wherever you go!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found PA Dutch! Thanks so much for reading. Max is adorable! I'll try to post more pics of my guy on Wednesdays. Have a great weekend. Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Great - I'll be looking forward to it and having some more time to check out more of your blog and ya'll adventures!!! I'm so completely jealous!! I've always wanted to travel sooooo much but haven't be able to very much so far but baby steps...about a year ago got to do an awesome road trip with my 28 year old daughter to see my son who was in South Carolina at the time....I showed my daughter the meaning of road trip - ha! We stopped at all kinds of random places and had a blast!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Road trips are amazing! Good to hear you're teaching your daughter the ways. Our road trips have been replaced with train trips now. Not the same but still fun.

      Delete
  3. Be careful about running red bike lights. My boyfriend did that the other week and ended up getting a hefty fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the warning, I'll be more careful. To be honest I didn't even notice the bicycle light. The other day I totally cut out a Politie van by accident. I was a nervous wreck, but they just kept on driving.

      Delete